The theme of the party was Wild West. I would never have passed as a convincing cowboy, so went for the next best thing. No, I'm not a lizard. I'm a cactus.
Sometimes I just blended into the background seamlessly.
To make the mask, I first made a positive plaster cast of my own face using an alginate negative. Well, I say that I did that. Actually I just lay still and tried not to inhale alginate while my beautiful and talented girlfriend did the actual modelling work.
I then built on that with modelling clay, made a new negative and sandwiched latex between that and the original positive. It was stuck to my face with spirit gum and painted with two tones of green make-up.
My ears produced green wax for a week afterwards.
Posted by Penfold Merton at Friday, September 04, 2009